National Trauma Data Bank - www.ntdsdictionary.org
The purpose of this page is to describe the historical change process that was used to revise the 1.0 Dataset to the Version 2.0 Dataset in 2010.
The National Trauma Data Standardization Project has revised the National Trauma Data Bank (NTDB) Dataset. The Version 1.0 Dataset defines over 50 data elements which are important to the documentation and description of trauma systems and patient care. With any use of data at the trauma system or patient care level, the standard definitions, variables, and codes associated with each of the Version 1.0 data elements are critical.
The Version 1 XML standard defines how data is moved from one data system to another (imported or exported). Using the XML architecture and the XSD validation files, data can easily be moved:
- Between two hospital data systems
- Between the local hospital trauma registry data system and the state trauma data system
- Between the state trauma data system and the national trauma database
The Version 1.0 NTDB Trauma Registry Dataset was revised to Version 2.0 in an orderly and consensus driven process beginning in 2009.
The revision to the Version 2.0 Dataset was completed in 2010.
Beginning at some point during the 2009 calendar year, the Version 1.0 of the NTDS Dataset and XML standard was revised to Version 2.0. This process was completed through a consensus-based process with full involvement of the national trauma organizations that served on the original Task Force during the Version 1.0 process, and through an extended period of public comment from the trauma community.
Changes to the dataset were based on the following:
- Lessons Learned
- Through the development and implementation of trauma data systems based on the Version 1.0 Data Standard
- Through the application of trauma data collected and applied through the Version 1.0 Data Standard
- Operational Knowledge
- From Local, State, and National Trauma Data Managers using the Version 1.0 Data Standard
- From Trauma Software Developers using the Version 1.0 Data Standard
- System Knowledge
- From Local, State, and National Trauma Providers and Administrators using the Version 1.0 Data Standard
- Knowledge gained through the use of Local, State, and National Trauma Data Systems
- Knowledge gained through ongoing Trauma System, Educational, and Clinical Research using the Version 1.0 Data Standard
- Current Technology and Informational Infrastructure related to Trauma Data Systems.